Monday, May 17, 2010

Meatless Monday - Baked potatoes


Our dinners can be hectic. I often feel more like my kids' waitress to keep up with spilt cups of water, ketchup, and some more of this mummy please. Zahara often wants to sit on my lap at mealtimes which make it harder. All this and trying to keep dinner a pleasant experience with a little conversation shared about everyone's day...

But, I've found that my kids will really enjoy a meal a lot more if they can make it, or even assemble it, themselves. Even though this is not a meal that I really love, it's great for the kids and pretty easy to prepare in advance. I prepare all the toppings in individual bowls during the day, as well as the potatoes to keep it easy and ready to go.

Baked potatoes with toppings
Use washed potatoes, wrap individually in foil and bake for 1.5 hours at 200 degrees celsius in the oven
Unwrap carefully when cooked, cut top off and scoop out filling.
Mix with grated cheese and some salt till a little gooey
Put back in potatoes and let the kids serve themselves with any of the toppings below
- corn kernels with butter (I steam fresh corn first and then cut off)
- sour cream
- grated yellow cheese
- chopped up tomato
- cooked chicken, bacon, canned tuna
- baked beans
- guacamole

Easy, tasty for kids and fills their little tummies on these cool Autumn days. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment